Monday night is aquafit night with the girls and sometimes, especially in the winter it is difficult to warm up after being in the water. I had found a couple of recipes for baked potato soup and for potato chowder, which all looked delicious but I felt like I wanted a cross between the two of them. I searched for some other recipes and decided to experiment tonight with a few different ideas I had been toying with. I wanted a creamy soup but without the cream (so I could use more bacon!). But I also didn't was to use milk (or cream) as I have a tendency to just curdle milk when I cook with it. (No, I'm not too picky...am I)
I basically wanted all of the yummy goodness of a fully loaded baked potato in a soup format that I could heat up quickly when I got back from the pool. What follows here is my melding of ideas from other recipes...the very creamy and delectable:
Bases Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 3 large baking potatoes, baked, peeled, and mashed
- 6 strips of bacon
- 1 litre veggie stock
- ¼ to 1/3 cup flour (depends on desired thickness of soup)
- ½ large onion, diced small
- ¾ cup Shredded cheddar cheese (some is for the soup and some is for the garnish)
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup frozen corn kernals
- 1 bunch Green onions, chopped (some is for the soup and some is for the garnish)
- Salt and pepper
In a large pot fry until golden:
- 6 strips bacon, chopped
Remove cooked bacon leaving the bacon fat in the pot. Save the bacon to garnish the soup.
Add to the pot:
- the diced onion
- pinch of salt and pepper
- ¼ to 1/3 cup flour to the pot and stir to cook the flour (like making a roux).
(I found that I had to add a tablespoon of olive oil to get all of the flour coated)
Cook the flour to a minute or two to get rid of any raw flour taste and add:
- 1 litre (4 cups) veggie stock (make sure you stir or wisk the stock into the roux to avoid any lumps of flour. The mixture may get thick. If it gets too thick add more stock.
- cooked, peeled potatoes.
Continue to cook until potatoes are heated through and stir in:
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sour cream. (you can add more if you want more if you'd like)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 of the green onions, chopped
Once the corn has thawed and the soup is a nice bubbly mass of hot potatoey goodness, you can eat!
Ladle into bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of cheddar, green onions, and bacon.Soooo goooood.....